Journey. Doesn’t that word send shivers down our spine nowadays. Anyone, remotely famous, via reality TV has done that word to death. Their journey from weight loss, survival, cooking and renovation shows and aren’t we over it. Let’s look at purpose
Purpose. Another word in over use. Find your purpose and we find our life. We hear it, we read it. Our purpose, this magical thing that lifts us higher than anything else and it can. It just seems that no-one really tell us how.
In our Four Pillars of Success workshops, we help people find their purpose and then work with them on an action plan to achieve it. I follow up a month later and again at six months and we see success with our attendees.
But I see others struggle to get there. I talk to many who see they have a purpose but just cannot understand how to get there. They have current priorities, they have current commitments, they have current jobs, they have current circumstances that don’t allow them to work on their purpose.
But you can, and you should. And let me share a way forward. Put priority into your purpose.
John Maxwell shares his tips on how to prioritise our days and I use this as a foundation to provide a framework for your success. Lets have a look.
- Do what’s REQUIRED. This takes two parts. Do what is required to honour your current commitments. Hold that job, do what’s necessary to keep food on the table and a roof over your head. You cannot achieve your purpose, your dream when you’re starving on the streets. BUT, you also need to understand what is required for your to fulfill your purpose. Then take those necessary steps everyday. If you want to be a writer, WRITE. If you want to be a speaker, SPEAK. Get the drift. Do what’s necessary every day, and by doing so you get closer to your dream everyday.
- Do what gets you the greatest return. What opportunities exist for you? What can you be doing to get you the return needed to start working more on your purpose?
- Do what gives you greatest reward. When people work on their purpose, their passion it show in the satisfaction that it brings. When what gives you greatest reward, is also the thing that is gives you greatest return AND is what is required, then you are truly working on your purpose.
- Review your results. By adding in a step where you check your progress you add reality into the mix. And we don’t do this for you to bash yourself up. NO WAY, its to give you an idea of your progress. By placing a priority on your purpose, you should be taking steps daily and getting closer to your dream. Recognise it, reward yourself and keep it up.
- Refresh. Simply it’s needed. Refresh and get moving again.
Don’t accept your current reality as a reason not to chase what you want. When you are on your deathbed, you won’t be lying there wishing you had given more to that 9 to 5 job, that bad relationship, or whatever is constraining you now. No, you will be wishing you had pursued your dreams, your goals. You will be wishing that you had fulfilled your purpose. You do that by putting priority into your purpose.
Follow the five steps to putting priorities into your purpose and get started and when you find yourself in that wonderful position where what you are doing is required, provides return, gives you reward, you’re getting results and it refreshes you…..MAN you are fulfilling your purpose.
That’s your aim, that’s your goal, You’ve got this.